Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Localization in SL

As the world continues to expand it has been predicted that at some point we'll start to see a pattern of locality begin to emerge. The idea is that the world will become too big to inhabit as a single place which would result in avatars that roam a selected number of sims. Essentially we'd see SL breaking off from being one place to being many places distinct from eachother in some way.

Considering some of the cultural trends and the growing sense of isolation I feel in-world already, I'm curious to know if this has happened already. Have pockets begun to form in the fabric of SL society? Are there indicators available to test?

If anyone would like to join me, I'd like to start a group/thinktank to find ways to analyze and test these observations in more scientific detail (or pseudo-scientific at any rate). Contrary points of view are warmly welcomed as well as I am a fan of practical dialectic. I also have resources to commit to this project if there is any interest.

(icon.serpentine) nospam! gmail [dot] c0m

4 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger Tateru Nino said...

Willing participants could wear a tracking device (one made from a viewable script, so they can verify what it's doing, or drop the script into an existing attachment) for tracking purposes.

I think this sort of pulling inwards is a natural part of the formation of communities - though I could be dead wrong :)

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Icon Serpentine said...

That would be an interesting way to gather some hard data on the physical boundaries for sure. I'm glad you suggested it, it may be a great start to this project (if it gains enough support).

I also think we'd need ways to discover if there are any location-specific peculiarities in the overall fabric of SL-society. "Peculiar" meaning unique colloquialisms, analogies, metaphors, stories, myths, etc. For that we'd need a human element. :)

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If, by localization you mean attachment to particular themes or lifestyle, I would have to agree that it will become increasingly true.

If you're talking "locality", as in proximity, I don't think that will ever happen.

Unless search and TP collapse under their own weight, the themes that are spreading out around the world will continue to attract avatars from all over.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Icon Serpentine said...

talon --

I do mean "proximity" to the fullest extend of its meaning in Second Life.

While it's obvious that with TP and Search, there aren't borders or limitations in travel; I still find that there are a particular set of sims that like-minded avatars tend to spend most of their time in.

Hard numbers are of course not available; but I would still find it an interesting project to pursue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home